Sunday, November 25, 2007

HELP! Sleep troubles.....

Well, Eli did great his first night in a big boy bed. He got his usual 12hours. So, today would be our first day to nap in the big boy bed. I have been very anxious about this transition because he hates when it is nap time. He fights me a lot of days, but it only lasts like 5min and then he sleeps for 2-4 hours, so I know he is tired. At nap time today we laid down in his new bed, read some books and said good night. Within 5 min he was at the door crying. I decided to try the technique where you gently put him back in bed over and over as many times as it takes. The idea is that you don't look at them or talk to them or scold them you just continue to place them back in their bed over and over. If you continue to talk and explain and plea with them it's as if you are feeding the fire. We did that for about 1hour and 15min. He finally gave up and laid on the floor by the door and went to sleep. Hooray! Not for long, about 15 or 20min later he woke up crying. He was crying in such a way that he wasn't going to just go back to sleep so I decided to call it a day and we'll try again at bed time. I'm at a loss. Does anyone have any helpful tips or ideas or things that have worked for them?? He has always been such a good sleeper :( I would love to know what you think.

1 comment:

Jerry James said...

Amy,
Just thought I would throw in my two cents. I never liked naps and I never liked going to bed. This is what my mother did. She told me I didn't have to go to sleep until I wanted to, but I had to stay in my room and be fairly quiet until she would come tell me nap time was over. I don't remember being as young as Eli, but I remember when I was a little older that sometimes I would never go to sleep, but only play quietly. But many, many times I would finally go to sleep. I don't know if that is helpful at all, but there you have it.